Wednesday 18 July 2007

Strawberries and Champagne.


It was Heathers birthday on Monday and due to the action packed weekend we decided to open a bottle of Champagne on Sunday night when the boys were gone or in bed to toast the occasion! Now Heather loves Champagne, me, I can take it or leave it. To be honest, if you are spending £30 on a bottle you might as well buy a nice single malt but hey it's not my birthday! I offer to go get a bottle and Heather has three listed in order of preference, I take the list and toddle off.


It's a huge well known supermarket (Sainsburys) and they have none from the list and only two over £20 so I phone Heather. She doesn't answer so I take a photo of one with my phone and the other is their own label premier brand. I walk home empty handed but show her the photo, the picture quality is crap and no-one can read it. Then one of her friends pipes up "the premier own label had a great write up in the Guardian!". I go back to said store and buy a bottle which we put on ice for later!


The boys are in bed, we have a large bowl of strawberries, bottle of ice cold Champagne, crystal glasses and settle down on the couch. I expertly pop the cork then turn to the Champagne, only kidding, I pop the cork and pour the wine. It's only fucking flat!! We have another bottle, a stand by which has been hanging around for a while. Guess what? That's fucking flat too!!


Anyway, the strawberries were great!


Heather wasn't the only one who got presents on her birthday. Me, I got an insect bite! It bit my leg and by yesterday afternoon the whole bottom half of my leg had swollen up, the bite was the size of a 2p coin all raw and weeping something that looked like egg yolk. Lovely! The doctor gave me anti-biotics and told me to rest up today. Hooray! Sick on my day off again!

11 comments:

katy said...

lovely strawberries in champagne, well not in flat bubbly what a shame, hope you took it back and got some more for free
ouch on the bite hope it heals well, glad you didnt show us a photo of that one!

Chris King said...

I took the bubbly back!
Somebody took photos of the bite so if you're lucky you might get to see it soon!! LOL!

Kahless said...

Never known a bottle to be flat, but hey, don't drink a lot of champagne. I agree with you, spending that money then buy some spirit.
lol. I would have had to take a photo and bring it home for my better half to decide.

And hey, I got an insect bite yesterday too; on my belly!

Fire Byrd said...

And what exactly was wrong with Crystal, isn't your woman worth it, it'l only cost you £150. Or Krug at £95...

Alternatively a bottle of Cava costs a fiver. Just so you know for next year.
px

Chris King said...

K; I hope yours didn't go manky like mine!

P; £150 a bottle? Do you drink it or seal it in a display case?
My grandmother always said live within your means. So, give me a nudge when the cava is buy one get one free!!

Kahless said...

No, its not gone manky but I just can't stop itching it!

Queen Vixen said...

Yes, cough up man - the more expensive the champers the better it is. No scrimping with Cava - poor substitute. Perhaps the bite was from the stingey weavil. Havent seen you for a while Chopsk, missed you :o)

Queen Vixen said...

Yes, cough up man - the more expensive the champers the better it is. No scrimping with Cava - poor substitute. Perhaps the bite was from the stingey weavil. Havent seen you for a while Chopsk, missed you :o)

Fire Byrd said...

You.ve been tagged... tee hee!
Come over and see what I've landed you with....
px

DJ Kirkby said...

That makes two of us, get that pretty pink thingy up on your blog now...

Chris King said...

K; Didnt your mother tell you "It'll never get better if you keep scratching it!"? Try Benadryl!

QV; So good you sent it twice!!? Stingey weavil indead! Ouch! Though am touched I've been missed, thanks!

P; Oh joy! Thanks! When I make something up er,I mean, think of something, I'll do the post.

DJ; You know I don't do pink well!!