Wednesday 20 June 2007

Tagged: Music this time!


Sheena Easton! Did all the girls look like that in 1981?


Tagged!

1. Go to http://www.popculturemadness.com/ or http://www.everyhit.com/.
2. Pick the year you turned 18.
3. Get yourself nostalgic over the song’s of the year.
4. Write something about how the song affected you.
5. Pass it on to 5 more friends.

Do you know what shit was top of the charts in 1981?


December 27, 1980 - January 30, 1981: (Just Like) Starting Over John Lennon
January 31 - February 6: The Tide Is High Blondie
February 7 - February 20: Celebration Kool & The Gang
February 21 - March 6: 9 to 5 Dolly Parton
March 7 - March 20: I Love A Rainy Night Eddie Rabbitt
March 21 - March 27: Keep On Loving You - REO Speedwagon
March 28 - April 10: Rapture - Blondie
April 11 - May 1: Kiss On My List - Hall & Oates
May 2 - May 15: Morning Train (Nine To Five) - Sheena Easton
May 16 - July 17: Bette Davis Eyes - Kim Carnes
July 18 - July 24: Medley - Stars on
45 July 25 - July 31: The One That You Love - Air Supply
August 1 - August 14: Jessie's Girl - Rick Springfield
August 15 - October 16: Endless Love - Diana Ross & Lionel Richie
October 17 - November 6: Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do) - Christopher Cross November 7 - November 20: Private Eyes - Hall & Oates
November 21, 1981 - January 29, 1982: Physical - Olivia Newton-John

Well, there you have it! To be honest I cant remember half of them, this was my greasy biker era and would have been more into Motorhead than Motown! I must confess though I did have a soft spot for Sheena Easton after watching her on The Big Time ( a programme where they took her from obscurity and followed her path to getting a record contract with EMI), so remember Morning Train (Nine To Five). Didn't like it, but remember it!


Another 9 to 5 to make an impression on an eighteen year old was the song by Dolly Parton, well to tell the truth not the song so much but I seem to remember something else standing out??!!


Physical - Olivia Newton-John! How could that not leave an impression? That lovely little Aussie girl who used to feature a lot in the 'Cliff Richard Show' (don't start me on Cliff!) years before now dancing around in a skimpy leotard all sweaty!


Blondie had two number ones that year! Tide Is High was OK I guess but Rapture (was number 1 over my birthday) was that fucking weird song where she tried rapping about eating cars and planets and shit! Wasn't it?

Sorry, I might be slating someone favourites here but what the hell? This is all about me after all!!

So, out of all of them none of them jump out at me with any relevance to me being 18. If I had to pick a favourite; Bette Davis Eyes - Kim Carnes. No particular reason just liked the tune.

6 comments:

Kahless said...

He he he
I remember my mother had Angela Rippons fitness record which had Olivia Newton-Pongs Physical on it.

Fire Byrd said...

Umm lots of women on your selection, and no men. Freud would have something to say about that!

obviously don't know what though cause i'm not Freud.

But Olivia Neutron Bomb yuck too sweet for words even for a testorone led 18 year old.
px

katy said...

i got to do it i got to start you on Cliff!

Chris King said...

Kahless, that must have been a great record! They make a video?

Pixie, you trying to analyse me? You'll have your work cut out!! I love ONJ! I must have watched Grease at least erm.... twice!

H.I., Will make my next post Cliff! You asked!

katy said...

yeah a Cliff post

Lady in red said...

whilst being a fan of Blondie those were not my favourite tracks.

Sheena Easton I adored

Kim Carnes I loved that song too